Sunday, November 13, 2005

THE RACE!!!

It's the day after the race and it felt like my legs were broken when I woke up this morning. After thirteen weeks of training, everything came together for an awesome race. The weather was perfect, mid forties to fifties and sunny, and everyone was in great spirits. I felt great in the week leading up to the race and was ready to attack the race with a vengeance. Well, the hard work paid off. This was my first marathon and my primary goals were to finish the race, and try and get under 3 hours. I came in at 2:47:48. Crossing the line and seeing the time on the clock was one of the most exhilarating and awesome feelings I have ever had.
I think the entire race went great and I could not have asked for more. I went out for the first two miles with Ben, Craig and Sam but then had to make a pit stop. I miss judged my bladder at the start. After that I ran with Jim for a few miles. All of my mile splits were around 6:20 with a few down below 6:10 and two miles in the high six's and low seven's. My half marathon time was 1:23:17 and my average mile pace was 6:24.
The Richmond Marathon lived up to its reputation as being the friendliest marathon. From packet pick up to post race fun, everything went smooth. I would definitely recommend this marathon to anyone whether it's your first one or you are a seasoned pro. They made my first marathon an awesome memory that I will have for a long time.
I also think that there is something to be said about doing a big race like this with a group of friends. I have been training for the last year with the folks in the Raleigh Running Outfitters team. I would not have been able to do as well as I did with out the help and motivation of everyone. Thanks for running with me!
Well it's on to recovery and deciding the next big race. My next short-term goal is to do the Mistletoe Half Marathon in early December over in Winston-Salem. Hope to see everyone out running soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Man, chris that is fantastic. A 2:47 is truly LEGIT! Congratulations. You obviously worked hard to get there. Revel in it for awhile.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, that isnt meant to be anonymous, its me, chuck in boone.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home