Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Promise

So it's 2 o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep. It's not that my mind is racing about running and Africa like it usually is. I just don't seem to want to go to sleep. It might be due to the fact that I was unable to run today. Over the weekend in, what I can only explain as an overuse injury, I hurt my ankle while in the midst of a 12 mile run. I'm not sure what it is but resting and icing seem to be making it go away.

It's strange, the things you think about at 2 o'clock in the morning when you can't sleep: the future...the past...what your doing in the present. I am so anxious to get to Africa and start doing something that seems like it matters that I catch myself going to work each day and just blanking out while I think about what the future is going to bring. One minute I'm greeting my first table and the next I am out the door and driving home.

I have made a promise to myself and I am putting it on here so that someone out there might hold me to my word some day. I never want to stay in a situation in which I feel like I'm in a rut. I have to admit that I do not ever see myself having your typical 9 to 5 job. It's just that it seems like there is so much more out there, so much more that can be done, and to settle for a secure job and a nice paycheck would be a cop out. I am not try to put anyone down, I just think that if you don't have a passion for what you are doing, why are you doing it?

Well, if you are still reading this you have listened to me go on for long enough. I just wanted to get that out there. Hope to be back out there running soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger ray said...

chris,

i know what you mean about anxiety and blanking out at work. over the past few weeks i've just been trying to calm myself down and enjoy the moment. this is the first time in my adult life that i've been truly excited with the direction in which i am headed, so i'm just trying to enjoy the anticipation. while there will be many things ahead in life to be equally or more excited for, none will be the same as this. so if i may offer any advice it would be to take it one day at a time...june will come soon enough.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll hold you to it Chris!

Christi

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home